Thursday 2 June 2011

Adventure Fantasy Fanart

I enjoy drawing fan art in my spare time, I use it to try out drawing well-known characters in different styles and such.

Here are some of my recent experiments, in which I tried to draw groups of characters who all look  different from one another:

Below is the main cast of Pendleton Ward's Adventure Time With Finn & Jake. It's one of my favourite shows to come out of Cartoon Network in the past while {others being The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack and The Regular Show}. Adventure Time really captured my imagination, probably because I'm a fan of the fantasy adventure genre in general.   
Also, the character designs are awesome.

In the show, the characters are drawn with somewhat simplified faces, so here I tried drawing them in a slightly more detailed cartoon style, giving each distinct facial features:


Speaking of fantasy adventures, anyone who knows me knows that I love the Final Fantasy game series. (Though I must admit I never got into the games after X in a serious way)
There's just something about the earlier games in the series that appeal to me - probably because of the high wackiness content and period settings - they're more in the same vein as Adventure Time and D&D than the newer, more futuristic games. 

IX is one of my personal favourites for its somewhat Shakespearean setting and completely insane character designs. A lot of people didn't like it because it was more cartoony than its immediate predecessors, but I actually liked the cartooniness.

Below is my rendition of the Magus Sisters, a quirky miniboss squad from Final Fantasy IV.
For some reason they appear as giant bug ladies in Final Fantasy X, so I kind of mixed and matched elements of each incarnation together:


These both were loose pencil sketches that I scanned in and painted in Ye Olde Photoshoppe - I've been keeping a little of the sketchy quality in deliberately lately, I just like it better that way for some reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment